Thursday, September 12, 2013

News/Sketchbook: New 52 Lobo Redesign

Well, DC fans have been all abuzz lately regarding the reboot of the character of Lobo. For full details, you can find the story here.

Now, let's take this from the beginning.
Lobo was created by Keith Giffen as a parody of the ever-popular Wolverine. Lobo was all the 90's traits to the X-TREME!!!!! (!!!) Lobo was a bloodthirsty alien bounty hunter with the most powerful healing ability in the universe. He was violent, snarky, and not a very good role model. And he was unexpectedly popular. What was originally meant as a commentary on the 90's Anti-Hero became the most extreme example of them. And now he's a skinny guy who basically looks like he's been Twilight-ified.

The Lobo fans know and love is NOT supposed to be appealing, but is anyway. That's his ineffable charm! And now? Where's the crazy grin? Where's the muscles and giant guns and the cigar that he can smoke in space?

I have no doubts that they've worked really hard on this character. But he's not Lobo. What they have done is taken the character and removed all of his recognizable traits. Now, take this all with a grain of salt, because this is just concept art. Things are likely to change, and this new character may be awesome. In fact, I hope so. But as I was whipped up in a frenzy, I thought to myself, "I could redesign Lobo better than that in one try!" Then I really began to think about what that meant. And I decided to put my money where my mouth was. 10 minutes later, here's what I came up with.


Basically, classic Lobo, but toned down a bit to allow for whatever new things they wanted to do.
I saw Lobo as a guy who would see a guy smoking in a No Smoking area, kill him, take his coat, and then light up. In fact, that's the story I came up with behind that coat. I like the idea of giving him an eclectic wardrobe; he just wears whatever the heck he feels like!

Following the Wolverine parody in a more subtle way, I put his typical dreadlocks up in a samurai-clip-thing, like Hellboy.

I attached his classic hook to his belt to give him a suicide attack. If an enemy knocks him off a ledge, he grabs them and brings them down with him.

Only time will tell what DC gives us in the way of Lobo, so we'll see what we get.

There's still hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment