Sunday, June 8, 2014

NewtCave 1-Year Anniversary Week

Like the post-Infinite Crisis DC Universe, it's now One Year Later. (Friday will be the exact date.)

I think it's time to tell the Secret Origin of the NewtCave.

I started this blog with one goal in mind: ad revenue! Not really, but kind of. I thought that I could hop on the bandwagon and churn out videos on Blip.com to get some easy money while having a bit of fun doing something I enjoy. I wrote the Gwen Stacy Character Assassination, recorded it and edited it, and sent it as a pilot episode to Blip. It was rejected with a email that basically said "You're just not good enough for us."

I had very few options. I could simply quit, but I had already set up my Blogger account, my email, etc. YouTube was right out, because they're a bit notorious for cracking down on alleged infringements of copyright (though reviews/parody are protected by Fair Use, though that's neither here nor there). My only option? Text posts.

At first, it was just going to be a stopgap solution with existing video scripts until I could improve video quality. Then I wrote my first Ranting & Rambling post. Then I wrote the Cyclops Character Study. And the Captain Atom: Armageddon Spotlight. I ranted. I rambled. And then I started recapping Beware the Batman. I didn't realize it at the time, but that was the moment when it stopped being about getting the videos back on track. At that point, I was just having fun with my blog. And I'm still having a blast.

I never thought I would enjoy working on this blog as much as I do. I just love writing all this stuff, the fact that people read is just a nice perk. All in all, I'm actually kind of grateful that Blip rejected me.

Although that doesn't mean that it was all smooth sailing from there. There's been an issue here and there with this or that, but I'm happy to report that the blog is doing better than ever, and it's all thanks to you guys. I literally could not do this without you guys reading this. In fact, I have a few people to thank. In no particular order....

Critical Cablebox/Artsy CoreThank you for the opportunity to work with you. It was a pleasure. Any time you think about returning, please let me know.

Yusei  
Always there to make a connection to some related comic-type thing. Thank you for giving me a reason to make sure I do the research.

That One Anon 
Your endless enthusiasm helps keep mine going. Thank you.

Shane the Filmmaker  
Even a little support from a fellow Internet personality goes a long way. Thanks.

I'd also like to thank my friends and family for reading, as well. Your continued support means a lot to me.

Finally, I'd like to thank every single person whose ever read my blog. Yes, even you. Thank you.

So the big question: Where does the NewtCave go from here?

Up.

The Recaps will continue. The Reviews will continue. The Ranting, Rambling, Redesigns, and things that don't start with an R will continue. Bigger than ever. Better than ever. And you're invited to enjoy the ride. Submit a request. Leave a comment. I'm here for you guys.

Let's keep this party going, starting with a week-long celebration.

Welcome to the NewtCave.

1 comment:

  1. First and foremost, you are very welcome, good sir! Second of all, wow, I'm apparently important now. Huh. Cool.

    - That One Anon

    ReplyDelete